IN THIS ARTICLE LEARN.....
How To Choose A Domain Name For Your Business
When deciding what domain name you want to register fits the cap, consider how that would reflect on your overall business branding. Think of it as choosing what your company names would be known for and not just a domain.
This is why when new business owners ask us about naming their business, we always say check the domain availability first, above all make sure to give it a good thought rather than jumping on the whim. Any domain name extension you choose eventually becomes your brand identity online. The last thing you want to do is having second thoughts, so make sure that your initial choice of your business domain is easy to remember, and relatable too.
If you are entirely new to domain name registration and how to name your business, these following steps should help you figure out how to secure the name you like and easy for your customers to use.
- Memorable domain names or brands, think of how easy will the name stick to customers’ mind and how easy will it be for them to type it down. Think of brands like CNN and BBC, when it came down to naming their businesses, Cable News Network (also known as CNN) they went for a short, memorable and punchy name for their media brand. The biggest mistake for newbies is that they tend to use slang as an alternative, which is problematic in itself. Let’s say you want to register a domain name express routes.com however, you have discovered that someone has beaten you to it, the last thing you want to do is go for express routes.com as opposed to express routes.com. This is a huge mistake that makes your brand extremely difficult to find, plus you look like a watered down version of the real brand. People look at your brand and they think you are a total rip-off!
- Many online users who go online looking for trustworthy websites to spend money on, are dead lazy at typing, once you start coming up with long domain names that can easily be led into mistypes, you are risking losing customers. Business owners who are savvy and focused know that short and super simple is the way to go with choosing the best domain name to register.
- If you are like me, who predominantly build niche eCommerce websites, I prioritize the use of keywords as a basis for coming up with good business and domain name registrations. What am saying is it is always best to tie your domain naming close to what your main service is all about. If you are offering the best tacos in town, consider including tacos in your domain name intended for this business.
- Many local businesses often overlook the need for identifying their brand with the locality they serve. Unfortunately, this has huge repercussions when taking SEO into consideration. If you are a local motorway recovery car service provider, you will quickly become the highest ranked recovery referred by Google’s local services search index over national players. And the same goes for road signs and billboards too. As a local business, you stand a better chance to get call out referrals, so it makes sense to register a domain name that has included your town or county within it. A good example for this would be AtlantaWebDesignAgency.com (AWEDA.COM)
- Do not be tempted to use numeric combinations when registering your domain name, or go for one that has a hyphen in between, most online users will not be bothered to spell it out correctly, let alone paying attention to dashes in between. It’s always best to walk away from a domain or business name that is not available for domain registration than making it work by compromising on things that can affect your business.
How To Choose A Domain Name For Your Business
Be more clear on what your business is all about
The key to scoring it big is to be a bit more clear on what your business is all about, at the same time make sure to come up with a catchy and memorable brand name. The real test of a good name is putting it on its paces with family and friends to see if it is clear enough to understand what your business is all about. It’s also important to keep into consideration that domain names sell quickly, sometimes in minutes, before you know it someone has already snapped up your domain name. Make sure to quickly go through those ideas and secure it first before all your hard work goes down the toilet.
Copyright and trademarks
Copyright and trademarks is another problem with choosing a domain name for your business. If you make a colossal mistake and register a trademarked domain, you are risking a cease order being served to you when your business has started making money by brand owners. Far too many small businesses online have been shut down after going through a messy legal debacle that would have been avoided if due diligence was applied when registering the domain name.
Which domain extension is more suited
Consider also which domain extension is more suited and valuable for your business. This is a crucial step if you happen to have an exit strategy for your business. Say for example your goal is to start an online business, bring it to profit and sell it for tens if not millions of potential punters. Your domain name extension, in this case, will carry a reasonable amount of weight and value. If you are selling a dot-com business, it will be more valuable to buy more than a dot net extension.
New domain extensions
Also take note that lately, there has been a plethora of new domain extensions that are just great and offering relevant domain extensions not available on dot com extension. These domain name extensions are .nyc, .guru.io, .photography plus many more.
Block domain registration
As a way to protecting your business and brand reputation, make sure that you pick up and do block domain registration on all other available extensions so you can keep away brand high jackers. The best part of brand protection is that you also get to recover customers who mistype your domain, but because you secured those miss spelling eventualities, your potential lost customers are forwarded to the right domain.
Act now and make sure to register your domain before someone nicks it! The great news is that domain names are not that expensive nowadays. For the price of coffee, you could have just about any domain extensions you like.