IN THIS ARTICLE LEARN.....
- 1 How To Build An E-commerce Website From Scratch
- 2 Here is how to build an e-Commerce website step by step:
- 2.1 Choose what products to sell online from home
- 2.2 Create a business model
- 2.3 Choosing a domain name for a personal website
- 2.4 How to choose a domain name?
- 2.5 Use the best E-commerce website builder
- 2.6 E-commerce store design
- 2.7 Payment processing gateway
- 2.8 Install SSL (secured security layer) certificate to your website
- 2.9 Identify reliable shipping company
- 3 E-commerce Website design inspiration
How To Build An E-commerce Website From Scratch
For many, building an e-commerce business is a dream, but for others, its a reality, a dream come true. Building a normal traditional business is not what most people do in this technology era, online business is now much easier and faster to build and many are taking the advantage to build sellable products.
Online e-commerce business is so successful even all popular high street business have taken their business online. But to start trading online, the first thing is to create an e-commerce website.
Today, online business is no longer for professionals, just an average knowledge of using a computer can propel your career as an online business owner.
To build an e-commerce website from scratch, we have compiled a few key points to get you started today. This is for those looking for how to build an e-Commerce website from scratch, those who are determined and eager to start and become financially independent.
Here is how to build an e-Commerce website step by step:
Choose what products to sell online from home
Before venturing into eCommerce website business you first choose what products to sell online from home. An e-commerce website is not a high street shop, you choose to sell your products from the comfort of your home. If you go online, you will find that many websites sell just a particular product like a wristwatch, wristwatch for men, others can go as far as selling wristwatch for men, a wristwatch for women and wristwatch for kids all in one website. Others sell all branded electrical products in one website, like washing machines, phone, hoovers, televisions, home cinemas and much more from a single platform. The choice is yours, what works for A may not work for B.
You should do a thorough research to determine what products to sell online from home, consider doing a local market research. You should find what the locals are ready to buy, this is because people prefer to buy locally whether its online or offline, this is because they can relate with the seller easily than someone who is selling from another part of the world. When people buy from local sellers, its because they want fast delivery service, ease in case of returns and refund. Let’s say for convenience sake.
Create a business model
Creating a business model simply means identifying what channel to use to reach your audience. Most e-commerce businesses sell their products through Esty, Amazon, eBay and many others. While others sell directly from their e-commerce website by targeting their market through paid adverts, SEO (search engine optimization), and social media interaction.
Choose wisely, and don’t be in a haste to do what others do. Instead, follow existing models to create something unique or different. At GradecMedia, we provide SEO services and many more.
Choosing a domain name for a personal website
You have to choose a domain name and business name for your e-commerce website. To start, you have to choose a business name first, choose a business that relates to your chosen products. When you are choosing a business name that relates to what you are selling, it helps your target market to find you. The next is to choose a domain name, a domain name should be one that is related to what you are selling. Once your customers see your link, they are able to relate or identify you. If you are just starting an e-commerce business, you should use the shared domain, and once the business is grown you can use a dedicated server.
How to choose a domain name?
- Ensure you get a domain name that is easy to type and remember.
- Make sure your domain name is short, Use keyword research tools.
- Include the name of your local area to make it for locals to find you
- Find a memorable domain name.
- Research the domain name to avoid a trademark name, copyright and already used names.
- Appropriate domain name extensions like .com .co.uk or your country extension so customers can relate easily with confidence.
- Protect your brand name by buying different domain extension including a misspelled version of the domain to avoid your competitors registering extended versions.
- Be fast in registering your chosen domain before its gone, domain names sell pretty fast.
At GradecMedia, we provide free domain name registrations.
Use the best E-commerce website builder
Choose from the best eCommerce platform for small business, there are a number of e-commerce website builders out there, you should the right one for easy setup. once you have created your online store, you can start selling immediately. At GradeMedia, we suggest WordPress Platform.
E-commerce store design
When it comes to designing e-commerce store, there are few things to consider:
- Buyers convenience,
- Saleable products and services
- Quality product images
- Clear and understandable descriptions
- Reasonable prices
- Buyers comment sections
- Customer ratings
Designing an attractive e-commerce store should be your priory, avoid misleading descriptions, prices, and images as this can create mistrust between you and your customers. You can make use of e-commerce websites templates, they are easy to use and because it already been configured, you cant forget to add the basics. There are very good converting e-commerce websites templates out there, but it’s up to you to choose the right one.
Payment processing gateway
This is an important step in setting up an e-commerce business, you must provide not only a payment processing gateway but a safe payment gateway. Ensure to provide different reliable payment options for your customers to use, if you not, you stand the chance of losing customers and getting bad comments and rating from customers with a bad experience.
There is numerous payment processing gateway:
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Online wallets
- Net banking
- And many more.
Install SSL (secured security layer) certificate to your website
By installing SSL certificate, your connection is protected, and you can be confident that your customers are safe.
Identify reliable shipping company
Quick and reliable shipping and delivery of products is important when customers buy your product, it is not because it looks good but because it delivers quick and safe. The shipping companies or courier service should be a reliable courier service because some courier will deliver items that have already been damaged or robbed.
We hope this article will provide you with some clue on How To Build An E-commerce Website From Scratch?
To go further on how to build an e-commerce website from scratch, we have also compiled few points for e-commerce website design inspiration which anyone will find interesting to add to their e-commerce website.
E-commerce Website design inspiration
- Use friendly URL structure for the search engine.
- Make sure to optimize your meta title and meta descriptions.
- Make it mobile friendly.
- List all product names in H1 tags and add alternative tags to each of the product pictures.
- Easy navigation on your e-commerce website.
- The product names should be in bold font format for a clear view.
- If you are listing affiliate products, include Rating star formats.
- Provide quality images for your product.
- Provide good quality video of the product the will give your customers more knowledge of what they are buying.
- Differentiate between product regular price and sale price of the product.
- Show the number of products left in stock on the page.
- Show if you offer free shipping or if shipping is paid for by the customer, also provide links to the full page of the return policy, refund policy, and shipping policy.
- Provide variation of products according to product size and product colour.
- Provide a call to action button, an option to Add to Cart button or Buy Now button on top of the page and below page.
- Provide product features.
- Provide options to add to Wish List.
- Add social media share button options.
- Add product details to all products.
- Provide product SKU or Code if available.
- Provide product dimensions and weight.
- Provide origin of the product if necessary.
- Provide product comparison table table if necessary.
- Provide customer review option for buyers.
- Add Google analytics and Google search console.
- Add Trust Badges if possible, this will increase trust for customers.
- Provide FAQ space.
- Provide question box for each product.
- Display related product below each product page.
- Display product warranties and guarantees if there is any and be truthful about it.
- At the footer, provide phone numbers, business email or live chat options.
- Ensure to link to the product category pages, and links to company social media pages.
- Provide newsletter signup options.